There are quite a few food and festive items that are toxic to dogs, some are more well known to us than others. Be prepared by keeping the following foods and drinks well out of reach of your Cavaliers, some are very greedy and good at sniffing these things out!
They contain thiosulphate which is toxic to dogs and can cause damage to the red blood cells resulting in haemolytic anaemia. Scraps from the table are dangerous as even small amounts of onion can cause damage.
ALL chocolate is very dangerous to dogs as it contains theobromine. The chemical even in small amounts can lead to diarrhoea, Vomiting, tremors, seizures, heart problems and sadly some dogs die from ingesting chocolate.
The smell of chocolate is very alluring for dogs so keep well out of their reach.
They are both a choking hazard and a gastrointestinal hazard as the bones splinter when they are cooked. They can puncture or splinter your dogs throat or stomach- avoid at all costs.
If ingested even in very small amounts can cause kidney failure.
We all enjoy some rich food at Christmas as a treat, they tend to contain a lot of fat and salt. Some of us can get away with eating these and be absolutely fine but dogs should not be given anything like this. It can cause very unpleasant stomach upsets for dogs which can go on a number of days.
Some Cavaliers do actively seek out hot drinks such as tea and coffee if you leave your mug unattended! Caffiene is actually toxic and can cause cardiac arrhythmias due to a raise in blood pressure. Lesser worrisome side effects are vomiting and diarrhoea. In some dogs they can go into a coma and even very sadly die.
Keep hot drinks and foods containing caffeine well out of reach.
Toxic to dogs and cause tremors, increased body temperature, lethargy and lameness.
Xylitol can be found in many human foods and as a sweetener added to hot drinks. It is toxic to dogs even in small amounts and results in dangerously low blood sugar levels and even liver damage.
I’m sure we have all seen photographs on social media of dogs drinking from a beer glass, people think it’s amusing but it’s actually not at all safe. There is risk of coma and low blood sugar levels. Keep out of reach.
Keep emergency vet contact details to hand, if your dog ingests any of the above contact the vet for advice as soon as possible after the event. If the vet needs to induce vomiting they only have a small window of opportunity before damage can be done.